Commission on Women and Gender Equity Grants
The UMN Morris Commission on Women and Gender Equity invites proposals for projects that further multiple committee goals:
- to improve the conditions for women and gender minorities at UMN Morris, thereby enriching the campus community;
- to create and maintain a humane professional environment which fosters the growth and development of all members of the community in all their diversity allowing them to work to their full potential
- to enrich the climate for women and gender minorities on our campus, in our classrooms, and in the workplace;
- to identify current issues for women and gender minorities and to address them through its programs;
- to challenge prevailing norms, values, and attitudes that demean or devalue women and gender minorities;
- to encourage faculty, staff, students, and administrators to create more humane professional work environments for all UMN Morris women and gender minorities;
- to encourage faculty, staff, students and administrators to incorporate gender, women's, and sexuality studies into the body of established, authoritative knowledge within the disciplines at UMN Morris;
- to promote fair treatment of women and and gender minorities in academic and campus life including such areas as instruction, hiring, mentoring, evaluation, promotion, pay, and institutional regard or recognition
The Commission on Women and Gender Equity will evaluate each proposal considering the following criteria:
- Does this proposal support multiple goals of the Commission on Women and Gender Equity?
- Does the proposed project address issues affecting women and gender minorities specifically?
- Does the proposed program have a realistic and appropriate timeline, budget and set of goals?
- How will the project have an impact on UMN Morris faculty, staff, and students? (For projects that primarily take place off campus, applicants should pay particular attention to explaining how those activities will impact the campus community.)
- Has the group or individual taken the initiative to seek additional sources of funding?
- If so, from whom is the group/individual seeking other sources of funding?
Availability of Funds
Typically, only one grant per person or organization will be allocated within an academic year. Individuals or organizations may apply more than once. However, requests from those who have not received an award in a given academic year will receive priority over those making a second request.
Proposals may be submitted to the chair for the Commission on Women and Gender Equity in a short application form with necessary attachments. Project coordinators are asked to:
- Briefly describe the project in a 1–3 page narrative addressing the question: How would funding this request support multiple goals of the Commission on Women and Gender Equity?
- Include project rationale/goals and specific objectives/actions that will help you achieve those goals.
- Demonstrate how the proposal will positively affect women and gender minorities at the University and/or in the Morris community.
Narratives should be double spaced, typed, and no more than 3 pages.
Provide a timetable, budget, and budget rationale. Include additional sources of funding, if applicable.
Within three weeks of the event or completion of the proposed project, a written report must be submitted to the Commission with:
- Budget report of actual expenses/revenues
- Explanation of any major changes from the original proposal
- Evaluation of the project/event
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Please allow 2-4 weeks for Commission review and action.