Commission on Women and Gender Equity Grants
The UMM Commission on Women and Gender Equity invites proposals for projects which further one or more of its goals:
- to improve the conditions for women at UMM, thereby enriching the campus community;
- to create and maintain a humane professional environment which fosters the growth and development of all members of the community in all their diversity allowing them to work to their full potential;
- to enrich the climate for women on our campus, in our classrooms and in the work place;
- to identify current issues for women and address them through its programs;
- to challenge prevailing norms, values and attitudes that demean or devalue women;
- to encourage faculty, staff, students, and administrators to create more humane professional work environments for all UMM women;
- to encourage faculty, staff, students and administrators to incorporate women's studies into the body of established, authoritative knowledge within the disciplines at UMM;
- to promote fair treatment of women in academic and campus life including such areas as instruction, hiring, mentoring, evaluation, promotion, pay, and institutional regard or recognition
The Commission on Women and Gender Equity will evaluate each proposal considering the following criteria:
- Purpose: Does this proposal encourage or provide a supportive and empowering environment for women on the UMM campus and/or in the Morris Community? Does this proposal address an issue or community concern? Will this proposal increase campus connection and collaboration regarding women's needs and issues?
- Planning: Can this program realistically meet its timeline? Goals? Budget? Is the action plan complete? What will occur in Morris? Does this program successfully balance its purpose in the use of funds? Is this an innovative or unique approach?
- Availability: Are funds available? Are the necessary resources available for success? How heavily does this proposal rely on the Commission's assistance, now and in the future? Is the group/individual seeking funds elsewhere?
Availability of Funds
Typically, only one grant per person or organization will be allocated within an academic year. Individuals or organizations may apply more than once, however, requests from those who have not received an award in a given academic year will receive priority over those making a second request.
Proposals may be submitted to the coordinator for the Commission on Women and gender Equity in a short application form with necessary attachments. Project coordinators are asked to:
- Briefly describe the project in a one-three page narrative (see length restrictions, #2 below) addressing the question:
How would funding this request support the mission of the Commission on Women and Gender Equity to provide a supportive and empowering environment for women on the UMM campus and/or in the Morris community?
Include project rationale/goals and specific objectives/actions that will help you achieve those goals. Demonstrate how the project will positively affect women at the University and/or in the Morris community.
- Narratives should be double spaced, word-processed or typed and printed back-to-back with a maximum of one page for grants up to $300 and a maximum of three pages for grants over $300
- Provide a timetable, budget, and budget rationale. Include additional sources of funding, if applicable.
Within three weeks of the event or completion of the project a written report must be submitted to the Commission with:
- Budget report of actual expenses/revenues
- Explanation of any major changes from the original proposal
- Evaluation of the project/event
Allow 2-4 weeks for Commission review and action.